PRACTICE AREAS AND INDUSTRIES SERVED |
Mr. Heller's experience includes domestic and foreign patent preparation and prosecution, patent portfolio management, and intellectual property counseling, with a focus primarily in the mechanical arts.
Mr. Heller has drafted and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications, in addition to having managed patent portfolios, in many fields, including, but not limited to, automotive and medical devices, consumer electronics, light-emitting diode technology, electromechanical devices, and numerous oilfield technologies existing from oilfield tubulars and surface handling equipment to downhole tools and pump systems.
With respect to his expertise of intellectual property counseling, Mr. Heller has prepared noninfringement and invalidity opinions, counseled clients on patent design-around strategies, consulted on the strength of patents in anticipation of litigation, and conducted intellectual property due diligence, in addition to various other intellectual property services.
Mr. Heller previously held mechanical and civil engineering internships at Melden & Hunt, Inc. where he was responsible for inspecting and appraising the municipal street and utility systems for entire cities, in addition to designing the development plans for various construction projects. Mr. Heller also was an orientation coordinator at Rice University where he organized and oversaw all activities to integrate over one hundred students into the university's educational system and environment. Further, Mr. Heller was a lab consultant for the Mechanical Engineering Department at Rice University, and passed the Engineer In Training (EIT) exam in Texas.
professional organizations and memberships
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- "Intellectual Property Strategy at an International Level," Austin IBM Innovation Center, Austin, Texas (2012)
- "Intellectual Property: A Primer on Patents, Copyrights, and Trademarks," Rice University's IEEE student chapter, Houston, Texas (2011)
- "Intellectual Property: A Primer for Engineers," Rice University's ASME student chapter, Houston, Texas (2010)
- Practitioner Lecturer and Panelist for Intellectual Property Career Discussion at University of Houston Institute for Intellectual Property & Information Law (2010)
- J.D., South Texas College of Law (2010)
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Rice University (2005)
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office